- Driving, driving, and more driving (you get the idea! :) - it wasn't that bad though.
- Wartburg Castle! Hideout of Martin Luther after the Diet of Worms.
- Exploring the town of Eisenach (below Wartburg Castle) and visiting the church where both Martin Luther and Johann Sebastian Bach sang in the choir when they were young (obviously years apart :)
- *Interesting Note* - Both Bach and Luther lived in Eisenach as young men. It was interesting to think that when Luther came here to study before becoming a monk, he had no idea that he'd be coming back as a refugee to the castle!!
- We arrive at our place of residence for the weekend - a 400 year old German farm!!
- After GPS problems (a must have when traveling over here!!) and getting a later start, we decide against our original plan of going to Poland and a couple of destinations there. Instead, we break up our destinations for the following day and...
- Visited Wittenberg!!! Saw the "Castle Church" where Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses, toured the old town (very quaint and pleasant!), visited the Luther family home there and enjoyed some delicious ice cream while listening to an open air band (more like an orchestra) - very pretty!
- Got home at a descent hour and prepared for the next day by watching a documentary - "The Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall".
- We visited Berlin! Wow - what a history packed city!! We went through Check Point Charlie, visited Brandenburg Gate, had some great conversations with locals, visited the remaining portion of the Berlin wall, got to see Dietrich Bonhoeffer's house and got stuck in BAD traffic on the way home!!
(except Erfurt - this is where Luther's monastery is and we didn't make it there.)